Thursday, July 14, 2011

Questioning a teacher

My favorite teacher was Professor Shelly Judge. She taught me Field Camp as well as Structural Geology and Oceanography. I liked her classes because she would try to create a very interactive classroom setting by having us use clickers before an assessment to gauge our understanding of the content she was covering. She was also very willing to meet outside of the classroom setting to talk about content or live in general. She seemed like she wanted to create a relaxed learning environment where all students felt comfortable. She also seemed like she genuinely cared about the well being of her students. Before she taught college, she taught at a middle school so she brought that experience with her.

Questions I have for her are:
1)How did you keep your energy up when students were discouraged or not focused?
2) How do you deal with a student that is disrupting the lesson or clearly trying to bring attention to themselves?
3) What is one piece of advice that you wished you had had before you walked into your classroom?
4) How do you create an environment that has “managed” chaos? I am thinking about the clickers. Middle school students could totally loose focus and therefore miss the learning.
5) What was your approach to making the course seem relevant to your students?

Bonus questions:

6) What skills did you want your students to walk away with?
7) How did you teach certain topics that have misconceptions?

The interesting thing about this project is that I could actually talk to her and ask her these questions. She has been so supportive of me and even though she is a college professor and has college students to focus on, would still be so willing to have a phone conference with me to help me out. In fact, she is the person I consulted with before my interview for the Woodrow Wilson teaching fellowship.

1 comment:

  1. It is wonderful to that you have already developed the start to a Professional Learning Network, this will be extremely useful as you continue to develop your career. I would be very interested in the responses to questions 1,4,5, and 7.

    Developing daily routines and strategies to the students understand what "managed" chaos looks and feels like is so very important to maintaining a safe laboratory setting!

    ReplyDelete